Re: kol isha in action

In a message dated 2/21/2003 10:07:21 AM Central Standard Time,
lkoenick (at) erols(dot)com writes:

> Why is there "uncomfortness" more important that the uncomfortness of those
> who oppose it or are subjected to the discrimination?

This is a discussion that comes up annually--maybe it would be good to
archive it for the benefit of those who want to see past discussions.

I submit--as a woman who was not raised in an Orthodox home or with those
sensibilities--that it is no more discriminatory to respect Kol Isha at a
mixed gathering than to serve kosher food.  Unless we wish to drive out all
the Jews who observe halacha from our simchas, we can't put out a large
Unwelcome mat in the form of violations of the law.
A workable solution, I think, is to observe Kol Isha for the first 2 hours of
the simcha, and then to permit it (and mixed dancing)--telling the frum
guests in advance that this will be the format.  The frum guests will have a
chance to eat and fulfill their mitzvah of dancing at the simcha before
leaving, and the non-Orthodox will have their wishes respected in the latter
half.  This is the way we do most of our "mixed" simchas.
Lori (at) Max

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->