  From: MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 11:15 AM
  Subject: Re: kol isha in action

  In a message dated 2/21/2003 10:07:21 AM Central Standard Time, lkoenick (at)
erols(dot)com writes:

    Why is there "uncomfortness" more important that the uncomfortness of those
    who oppose it or are subjected to the discrimination?

  This is a discussion that comes up annually--maybe it would be good to
archive it for the benefit of those who want to see past discussions.

  I submit--as a woman who was not raised in an Orthodox home or with those
sensibilities--that it is no more discriminatory to respect Kol Isha at a mixed
gathering than to serve kosher food.  Unless we wish to drive out all the Jews
who observe halacha from our simchas, we can't put out a large Unwelcome mat in
the form of violations of the law.
  A workable solution, I think, is to observe Kol Isha for the first 2 hours of
the simcha, and then to permit it (and mixed dancing)--telling the frum guests
in advance that this will be the format.  The frum guests will have a chance to
eat and fulfill their mitzvah of dancing at the simcha before leaving, and the
non-Orthodox will have their wishes respected in the latter half.  This is the
way we do most of our "mixed" simchas.
  Lori (at) Max

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->