Re: kol isha in action

Kol isha - makes the gorge rise.

And it's not a custom common to all Orthodox Jewry. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT
POINT.

WHAT ABOUT ALL  THOSE FAMOUS CHAZNTES WHO GAVE PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE CONCERTS
FOR MIXED-GENDER ORTHODOX AUDIENCES?  In fact, I recall in the lobby of our
local orthodox shul in Brownsville, posters for the same - I speak of
Sheyndele di Chaznte, Freydele di Chaznte, etc.  And they often performed
with their male relatives and choirs. No they didn't lead services in shul,
but they performed everywhere else with cantorial and other repertoires.

What's at play here is a frummer than thou minority intimidating everyone
else. Everytime I encounter it -- and its equally insidious form in the
guises of organizations afraid to offend -- I want to throw up.

And as a WORKMEN'S CIRCLE shule  alumna, I find it pusillanimous of your
orchestra to capitulate. The WC is supposed to represent social justice,
among other ideals, and this is a flat-out betrayal of that ideal.  Shame!

Sylvia Schildt