Re: kol isha in action

> --- Dan Jacobs <dan (at) caliginous(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, avi finegold wrote:
> >
> > > all it says int he torah is that you should not
> > cook a
> > > kid in its mothers milk.
> >
> > Not true, it gives lists of Animals that are kosher
> > and that are not, but
> > I agree with your point, most of Kashrut is
> > Rabbinic.
> >

> i didnt say rabbinic, i meant that according to
> orthodoxy anything that was devised rabbinically has
> divine origin and is therefore quite equivalent. the

still disagree, how is it that in certain cases we can break rabbinic
law if we *have* to but we still avoid breaking torah law?  Examples of
this are equipment used in hospitals on shabbat (monstly in israel),
another example is the electric wheelchair that my friend can use on
shabbat, I recall that is does break some rabbinic laws, (it has a
hechsher) it would certainly be muksah for me.

Also Rabbinic law is more fluid.  Off the top of my head, the germera on
the subject of Kol Isha is very open to interpretation, the rishionim
appear to leave it up to the individual and the achronim are stricter,
however there are several prominent rabbonim these days who are more
lenient on the issue.  One is Rabbi Saul Berman.

This would not happen with Torah law.  So there really is a difference.

dj --  Sigining off as Shabbat starts in about 20 mins here...