Re: kol isha in action

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, avi finegold wrote:

> --- Dan Jacobs <dan (at) caliginous(dot)com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's not a custom it's Jewish law (a law that is
> > offensive and
> > un-necessary),
>

> youre right about the law part but what makes you
> think you have the right to pass judgement for
> orthodoxy on relative offensiveness and unnecesariness

Just giving my opinion, however if you are at the receiving end, i.e. a
female performer not allowed to perform due to Kol Isha, then it is going
to be painful and offensive.  Even those with a stricter opinion on Kol Isha
should
sympathise with someone in this position.

> that may be the case for you but plenty of people dont
> find it to be the case.
> as contentious an issue as it may be, many people
> still view it as an integral part of halacha, whether
> or not you approve of it. for most people this doesnt

Totally agree.

> interfere with their everyday life and they dont shove
> it into peoples faces, they simply dont go to events
> where this might pose a problem for them. now you have
> to admit that when someone is organizing an event they
> have to take into consideration that they have to
> accomodate any people that they are inviting to the
> event. im not talking about people they might sell
> tickets to, i refer here to people whom theyve
> specifically said that they would like to see there as
> a guest of honour or something else along those lines.

Agree again

> why cant you see it as a case of some people eat
> kosher and therefore when those people go to events
> people provide appropriate food solutions for them. in
> this case some people cannot allow themselves
> halachically to hear a woman singing and therefore a
> concession must be made to ensure that no one will
> feel uncomfortable.

This is different because Kol Isha is for more contentious an issue, I
don't any Orthodox person would believe that Kushrut is a chumrah
(stringency) or not necessary.  However many Orthodox people believe Kol
Isha to be acceptable and with some halachik basis.

Regards,

Dan