Re: kol isha in action

Jordan wrote:

> I really wish all those who have not been through the Kol Isha wars on
> this list would check the old postings if they are available and
> consult them.

Just because we've discussed an issue before doesn't mean there isn't
room for another.  I remember every round we've had over the last few
years and new points are discussed each time.  Jordan, I don't see you
objecting each time any other subject is brought up repeatedly.

> Quite frankly, I think that Lori should find a feminist support group
> to vent her feelings.

I don't think that was a necessary statement.  I believe this is
absolutely the appropriate venue to discuss the issue.

> Not because they are illegitimate. Not because I  follow the
> restrictions of Kol Isha(which I do not) . Simply because a discussion
> of a principle of Halacha, even one with admittedly various
> interpretations, is fruitless in an environment where actual knowledge
> or lack thereof of halacha does not give anyone pause to make the most
> uninformed, anti orthodox, offensive statements about a practice which
> is in the Shulchan Aruch, which is for all the branches of Jewish
> practice at least the starting off point for discussions of Halacha.
> You want to talk about how Orthodoxy is repressive? Be my guest. As an
> Orthodox practitioner, I can assure you you are correct. Just don't do
> it on a list about Jewish Music.

But that's what this point is about, Jordan--Jewish Music.

> Because I did not come here to be subject to the kind of reflexive
> anti Orthodox, or Anti Halacha diatribes which are common every time
> this comes up. You want to change the practice? Tell people not to
> follow that halacha. Just don't do it here. And as I have said every
> time this comes up, if you are going to discuss this, look at the
> original source material and at least understand why it is the way it is.

When the wonderful sources were listed last time I certainly did go and
read them, long and intense as they were, and still did not get a sense
of how the development of the practice makes sense.  At what point does
a speaking voice become singing?  Where is the line?

>  And to tell the truth, Lori, if this happens to you so often,

And now with the personal attack based on incomplete understanding of
the subject.  I never said this happened to ME often, but it does happen
to WOMEN often.

> maybe you need to put safeguards in place so that you don't get hurt
> in this way.

I am not hurt.  I have not taken it personally.  I am outraged at the
injustice from a people who have a history of fighting for social
justice.  I am outraged at other aspects which I won't go into now.  I'm
disappointed that you, who admonish others to know the facts, did not
bother to find them out from me before you assume I am ignorant and weak.

>  Don't assume you don't have to be upfront about who is in your group,

I was merely the hired hand for this job, and not present at the
organizers' meeting, therefore not able to address any of this, and when
I attempted to speak with one of them by phone yesterday, she wouldn't
even allow me to discuss it with her and cut me off.

> or what it is you do, because anyone who follows Kol Isha is wrong.
> Accept that this is halacha, at least for some people, and as such has
> a degree of sanctity. If you can't do that, stop working for Jews.

I am not one for making personal attacks, but that's just a stupid
remark, Jordan.  I refuse to even honor your statement with reasons or
rebuttals.

Thank you for all your support, my friends.  I will continue to voice my
opinion about the injustice of this practice.  If God gave me this gift,
who is a man to tell me not to use it for God's work?

I'll work out the rest from here.

mit frayndshaft,
Lorele

--
You can now hear Lori's new CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught Me; Vol.1:
Passover, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & postage. Email me for