Re: kol isha in action (fwd)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Sylvia Schildt wrote:

> Kol isha - makes the gorge rise.
>
> And it's not a custom common to all Orthodox Jewry. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT
> POINT.

As a British (modern) Orthodox Jew, I can say that Kol Isha is the
mainstream here, certainly as far as the Rabbinate go.  Also, Kol Isha
really is not a custom, it has more strength (in law) then a custom.

Personally, I have problems with the law and take the more lenient view,
however I respect people that are strict on this as long as their motives
are pure.

As with a lot of halacha, it is possible to have opposite opinions which
are both 'correct', however my analysis of the halacha is that allowing
Kol Isha is a minority opinion, perhaps over time that will change.

> WHAT ABOUT ALL  THOSE FAMOUS CHAZNTES WHO GAVE PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE CONCERTS
> FOR MIXED-GENDER ORTHODOX AUDIENCES?  In fact, I recall in the lobby of our
> local orthodox shul in Brownsville, posters for the same - I speak of
> Sheyndele di Chaznte, Freydele di Chaznte, etc.  And they often performed
> with their male relatives and choirs. No they didn't lead services in shul,
> but they performed everywhere else with cantorial and other repertoires.

As I said, there are opinions allowing Kol Isha, that would be one answer,
the other is that there are many heterim (written permissions) given for
Kol Isha in certain circumstances e.g. when a women is singing through a
microphone or on radio, so many Jews that are strict on Kol Isha will be
lenient in these circumstances.

However, the law regarding women leading services is different, this is
(more) to do with Men having an obligation to pray when women don't and to
some extent kavod ha'tzibur (respect for the community).

> What's at play here is a frummer than thou minority intimidating everyone
> else. Everytime I encounter it -- and its equally insidious form in the
> guises of organizations afraid to offend -- I want to throw up.

I'm sure that occurs, I'm not sure about this specific case.  Probably
most cases involve people that hold that this is the law and therefore are
inflexible.

Dan