Re: Kol Isha

For what it's worth, so long as people can comment on the subject
without attacking the person who holds the views with which they
disagree, I'd like to support the fact that this pops up periodically
and is re-discussed. It may not change anyone's mind, but I think it
matters that we share perspectives, and continue to do so.

At some point, it is more of a halachic issue than one of Jewish music,
but I would not want to try to be the person trying to argue that it
has nothing to do with Jewish music!

I wish I had something profound to contribute to the discussion, but,
other than noting that I am on the side described variously by Wolf
and by Judith Cohen, I don't know that I have more to say beyond being
on the record as in disagreement with this. As a non-halakhic Jew, however,
this is easy to say, and easy to act on. And it's one reason why I am
comfortable with Mordechai Kaplan's statement to the effect that the
past must have a voice, not a veto--something I'd apply to all aspects
of Jewish music, as it happens.

ari

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->