Re: Kol Isha

Although this issue may be irrelevant to some list members, it seems
to be of concern to a good number of us.  I also hope that, as we
consider the theoretical Halachik issues, we continue to focus on its
implications for Jewish Music, the raison d'etre of our list.

I do believe that an important component of Jewish Music is its
connection to Judaism.  As others have observed, the principle of Kol
Isha may have even played a role in the development of Jewish Music by
women.  Therefore, understanding Judaism better often deepens our
understanding of Jewish Music.

In that spirit, and wanting Jewish Music to be shared by all, my
question is to Jordan and others who agree with his positions:

In your judgement,

1. Has Halacha developed/changed?  If not, why not?

2. If so, does Halacha continue to develop/change today?  If not, why
not?

3. If so, how would a reconsideration of the Halacha of Kol Isha
occur?  Has it already occurred in Halachik Jewish movements (e.g.,
Conservative and Orthodox), de jure or de facto?  What is the evidence
(e.g., responsa, surveys, anecdotal, observation) for the answer?  Is
it possible for Halacha to change in one place (e.g., the United
States) and not in another (e.g., Israel)?

4. If there are Jews committed to reconsideration/development/change
of Halacha, such as the Halacha on Kol Isha, what could they do?

I append my questions to Elliot's post because it is the most recent
and he does suggest what Jews could do.  I regret, though, that his
post and others say that it is up to women to agitate.  I do not
believe that changes in the way Blacks are treated in this country and
in South Africa resulted from the activisim of Blacks alone.

Bob