Re: Kol Isha

In a message dated 2/18/01 10:26:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com writes:

> .  We hope that our daughter reflects these attributes of Rabban Gamliel --
> a respect for and a willingness, when she determines it is necessary, to
> work for change of the Halakha.

Bob, I absolutely agree with you that Halacha has to find in it a place for
those who feel disenfranchised. But that has to come from within Halacha
itself. Part of faith in the validity of Torah shebaal Peh believes that in
order for it to be binding, we have to accept that not everyone has the same
rights to change it. For instance, with the dispersal of the Sanhedrin,
certain Takkanot cannot be overturned, nor established. Basically, that is
where Orthodoxy parts company with Reform and Conservative thinking, at least
to some extent. All I ask of this list is that Orthodox thought not get
treated with a wholesale lack of respect just because it does not fit in with
current social thinking. After all, I may be a feminist, but I think we have
to allow for the possibility that a system which has stood for 2000 years,
and helped the Jewish people survive exile, may have inherent validity that
overrides even the best intentioned thinking of secular society.
That is why I have gone out of my way not to discuss my personal take on Kol
Isha, or feminism in general. It is besides the point.

Jordan

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->