Re: Kol Isha

I agree with the two following points of view:

The injunction against Kol Isha, IMO -- is a psychological implant whose
purpose is to
create self-loathing and feelings of inferiority in women, in order to
make them all the
more subservient to men in a patriarchal society. Any rationale is just
propaganda.

Wolf Krakowski

>I wasn't blaming liberal movements-
>I was just pointing out that talking about how 'Judaism has survived only
>because it has accepted change' doesn't mean that every change is good.
>Because it seems that if we change too much, too quickly, the center ceases
>to hold.

Eliezer Kaplan

If Orthodox Judaism can find a way to reconcile these two viewpoints, I believe
it would be to its benefit as well as all other denominations of Judaism and
all levels of Jewish life. We all carry our own prejudices and emotional
baggage--men and women, Jew and non-Jew alike. Shouting at people for their
"antiquated views" never really works, but when people are denied their equal
rights, they should get impatient and agitate for change. Surely there's a way
that the Orthodox world will be able to accept not only women singing, but
women making aliyot, reading torah,  and counting in a minyan. That time may
not be now, but if women agitate, it's sure to come.

That said, I would personally like to add that we in contemporary American
society are always incensed because people and institutions won't accept us
"just as we are." Every denomination of Judaism (or Christianity) cannot be
all-inclusive to all people and all beliefs at all times. Please, just because
someone won't accept your partner, your children's behavior, everyone of your
beliefs or opinions, don't just storm off and say, "This religion is
ridiculous. These people's beliefs are barbaric."

My mother-in-law once wisely advised me of three things never to discuss at a
party: sex, religion, or politics. Nobody ever changes their mind about deeply
held beliefs anyway, and you'll just ruin a perfectly good opportunity to have
fun. On the other hand, if the rabbi's wife would deny him conjugal relations
until he resolved this "Kol Isha issue' .... Things might change fairly quickly!

Eliott Kahn