Re: Fw: Kol Isha

>As far as the idea of Kol Isha Ervah goes, I will just add two points. One
>is
>that even within the Halachic community, there is a wide variety of opinion
>on the subject.
>Two, perhaps instead of looking for reasons to be insulted by the Orthodox,
>perhaps one might consider that in their own way, they are concerned with
>the
>problem of the objectification of women, as much as the most ardent
>feminist
>is.
>
>Jordan Hirsch
this comment actually is an admission of kol isha being "bogus".  With all
due respect, Jordan, If....it were really part of oral law dating back to
the Talmud,,,,and....if oral law was part of Torah mi Sinai...then why would
there be a wide variety of opinion on the subject?  IMHO kol isha issue is
nothing more than another attempt to "keep women in their place."  Why is
there no prohibition for women not to hear the voice of a man?  Surely there
are wonderful singers who are male.  Are you going to tell me that women are
less tempted than men? or that they can concetrate better than men?  And Kol
isha does not apply when the voice is a recording (according to many
orthodox rabbi's.) so it must be that men become under some spell when they
hear a woman's voice and can see her face....pardon me.  I do not mean to be
offensive...but "give me a break!"

I for one enjoy the sound of the female voice.  I have music by shirona and
have played it on the nusach internet radio network.  Yes she has a pleasant
voice, and yes (from the cd cover) she has a "shayne punim.", and yes I
enjoy her music.  But I do not have sexual thoughts when I hear her voice,
nor do I when i am in the presence of women singing, nor should any well
balanced orthodox male.  Is it really the opinion of the orthodox that men
(in general) can not be trusted with their sexuality?  Are orthodox men that
sexually repressed that the mere sight and voice of a woman will lead them
down the wrong path?  It is a "put down" and an insult to the males of our
religion to summarily say that the voice of a woman is so distracting that
we are incapable of concentrating on prayer, or that we will get "turned on"
just because we hear them sing.....

I would rather hear a beautiful female voice daven than hear some of the
crecksy voices of some men trying to imitate a chazan.  It is mroe spiritual
to listen to the sincere voice of a woman than to listen to the what some
men do in the name of shaliach tzibur.....

If i offend you in my opinion, please forgive me, I mean no offense.  You
have that right.  But in my humble opinion, by your admission that there is
a wide difference in opinion on the subject in the orthodox community,
making this a part of halacha is bogus.

winston weilheimer
host/owner
Nusach Internet Radio Network