Re: Fw: Kol Isha

In a message dated 2/17/01 1:30:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shirona (at) bellatlantic(dot)net writes:

> Reflections on a controversial issue that effects many who are involved in
> Jewish Music.

Shirona,
Quite frankly, there is nothing about your letter that suggests any
reflection.
Kol Isha is a complex Halachic topic, and as it dates back at least to the
time of the Talmud, it deserves serious consideration, not automatic
dismissal based on our 21st century attitudes towards rights and
entitlements. Whether it fits into our current mores or not, the prohibitions
regarding Kol Isha are the product of the Halacha system. If a person chooses
not to observe halacha, he or she is certainly entitled, but for those of us
who do observe Halacha, a hasty rejection of the validity of a Halachic
principle is no less offensive than the principle itself is to you. People
who believe Torah and Halacha are inherently holy do not automatically assume
that current ethical and moral principles are preeminent to the point of
rejection of our tradition. For those who are less engaged with Western
culture, that may take the form of outright rejection of current opinions on
the matter, and thus, not even call into question the centrality of Kol Isha
to an understanding of the place of women. While that may be odd or ludicrous
to you, it is part of these people's deeply held religious beliefs. These are
not unintelligent, spiteful, or misogynistic people. They just judge
differently how to treat people with respect and sensitivity.
For those of us who observe Halacha, but are engaged with the Western world,
these questions do carry with them more complex and nuanced understandings.
I cannot discuss this with you more onlist without discussing my personal
practice, which at this time I prefer not to do, but feel free to contact me
offlist and I will be glad to discuss this issue as fully as I can.
As far as the idea of Kol Isha Ervah goes, I will just add two points. One is
that even within the Halachic community, there is a wide variety of opinion
on the subject.
Two, perhaps instead of looking for reasons to be insulted by the Orthodox,
perhaps one might consider that in their own way, they are concerned with the
problem of the objectification of women, as much as the most ardent feminist
is.

Jordan Hirsch

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->