Re: Kol Isha

To show where I "come from" on this matter, I'm a Reform Jew who
has studied Torah (my mixed male/female group finished the last of the five
books late last year, after spending an hour most weeks for more than four
years with our Rabbi, reading and debating line by line), but not Talmud.  I
respect the differing views of other Jews, but I don't accept claims some
make that their views are the only legitimate ones, or that it has "always
been that way".  I especially resent those who say I'm not Jewish.  Perhaps
they need to be reminded that, not matter how observent thay are, there is
always someone who thinks he is holier.

A couple of years ago, the question of who Jacob wrestled with came up on a
Jewish humor newsgroup.  I made the comment that in a modern context,
considering the circumstances surrounding Jacob's experience, one might say
that he wrestled with his conscience.  I quickly got an e-mail informing me
that only rabbis are allowed to make such comments.  I mention that only as
an example of the kind of thinking I won't accept.

In my view (and many others agree), Judaism has survived only because it has
accepted change, most notably when the priesthood lost out to the rabbis.
The change is still going on, and one modern aspect is the growing rights of
women.  When they want to, even the most Orthodox rabbis manage to find
reason to change halachah.  In terms of women singing, I understand that
more than half the cantorial students for the last several years have been
women, and they are accepted by both Conservative and Reform congregations.
The numerically prevailing view among congregation rabbis in the US supports
women as cantors, which doesn't mean that all rabbis must accept them.

I don't automatically give in to those who wish to control a group (e.g., a
concert) by objecting that an activity isn't allowed under the rules that
they follow.  There are other interpretations by rabbis who are well
qualified.  I wouldn't force anyone to violate his principles, but the
person who is offended can leave the room.

Conflicts of laws and rights occur in other contexts, and in the U.S. there
is a principle often stated as "your rights end at the tip of my nose".

Marvin Margoshes