Re: Fw: Kol Isha

Erev Tov, Mr. Hirsch

Let me see if I get your point:

You seem to be offended at my dismissal of your "deeply held religious beliefs"
- because they are "deeply held religious beliefs", and as such - need to be
treated with an unquestioning acceptance. That pretty much ends the possibility
of having any kind of meaningful discussion!  Being self-referential is like a
dog chasing it's own tail.  You get nowhere.( and look pretty silly, too... )

Deeply held religious beliefs don't impress me at all.  On the contrary - they
are the root cause of the most violent, barbaric and cruel acts between men.
It's precisely those kind of people who DO NOT QUESTION - that are capable of
the worst atrocities. Examples?  History is full of them -   The Spanish
Inquisition, the (current) Taliban regime, the Third Reich...to name a few.
They all believed they were right!!!   How can you argue with those kinds of
"beliefs"?  You can't - because they are all based on a closed -
"self-referential" system, that preclude questioning...

Can we Jews afford to be that way too?  Haven't we been the victims of those
kinds of "beliefs" enough times to know better? NO NO NO.  We MUST continue to
question, to challenge, to update and upgrade our very own systems of beliefs -
or else you should never say the "Aleinu".  It's about time the Orthodoxy
relaxed a little bit and open the gates to some dialogue - at least with other
Jews, and wake up to the fact that we ARE living in the 21st century.  Thank
G-d.  Collective consciousness is on the rise, and pretty soon, us Jews, who
are supposed to be "Or Lagoyim" will be left behind...

So I'm questioning here.  I'm questioning the origin of Kol Isha. I'm
questioning the motives behind it.  Were they about power? The male ego?  Is
this any different than the general oppression of women by men?  I want the
source.  I want the truth.  The last thing I want is the "party line". I'm
challenging the men out there to look deep inside yourselves - and if you have
the courage - share with the rest of us a personal truth. Not a "religious
belief".

Thanks,

Shirona
* * *  Singer / Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music * * *
          www.shirona.com