Re: Kol Isha

Shirona,

I find this kind of posting rather timely, considering the recent list
discussion of Ellen Koskoff's book.  Looking at the issue of "Kol Isha" in
Lubavicher communities is an important part of her research (chapter 8 in
her book), and an important part of two of her earlier essays ("The Sound of
a Woman's Voice:  Gender and Music in a New York Hassidic Community" in
Koskoff, ed., *Women and Music in Cross-Cultural Perspective* (Urbana:
University of Illinois Press, 1989); and "Miriam Sings Her Song:  the Self
and Other in Anthropological Discourse." in Ruth Solie, ed.  *Musicology and
Difference* (Berkeley: UC Press, 1993).  While you feel (justifiable)
outrage about the issue, several of the women in Koskoff's work tend to see
the issue as a point of (justifiable) pride.  In a society where different
genders can often be seen as creating their own separate (and often private)
worlds, such "rules" can be constructive, and help reinforce these separate
spaces (remember that such talmudic discussion takes place in a male space,
and often focuses on ways to preserve that space).  In the "mainstream"
world, where men and women are all but required to occupy the same spaces
and aspire to the same goals, such a concept can be seen as medieval, cruel
and one-sided.

I'll say something controversial:  most gender issues that I've seen and
studied thus far seem to be perpetuated on all sides of the issue--men,
women, and others (and there *are* accepted non-male and -female gender
types in some societies).  Just because the men had the monopoly on the
publishing within Jewish life doesn't mean they had the last word on the
topic (remember that the rabbis often did as much *reflection* of culture as
they did creation of it--and who is to say that this issue wasn't propounded
bilaterally?).  I think it is unfair to thus characterize "Kol Isha" as
purely a "men did this to women" issue.  Doing so denigrates the integrity
of generations of women who likely had (and still have) varying
relationships with "Kol Isha," and perhaps even used it to create their own
musical lives, spaces and repertoires.  What if, for example, the "Kol Isha"
situation was a major contributor to the "T'china" repertoire?  Or, for that
matter, Judeo-Spanish "romanceros" (which were often passed from mother to
daughter)?  Ironically, these repertoires sometimes embraced as symbols of a
"feminist" Jewish ideology may have been a result of what seems its
antithetical situation.

Moreover, to some women who follow the "Kol Isha" norms, knowing the voice
has sensual power can be a source of great empowerment.  Especially in a
society in which the bodies of *both* genders are traditionally covered up,
the voice can serve a very important function, and becomes a prime place for
regulation.  It is important to note that in the same literature, men's
voices were criticized as well for being frivolous and distracting from
prayer--just look at the way "hazzanim" were treated by the rabbis.  Yes the
criticism was a different style; but remember, it wasn't usually in the
rabbis' nature to deal with homosexual longing.

 Also controversial, but I'll say it on this list:  "Kol Isha," taken at
face value, makes a good straw horse for feminist invective.  It is easy to
criticize because it seems to be (heck, it *is*) so clearly chauvinistic.
However, this idea generally requires subscribing to a narrative of Jewish
women's history that is based on suffering (or at least disenfranchisement)
at the hands of "male-centered" law.  There is an irony to this as well,
since arguing from this perspective often means subscribing blindly to the
absolute nature of the laws themselves--which was usually not the case
(that's why the laws existed, after all).  While womens' voices did not
survive in a written format from this time, it is belittling to these women
to believe their voices were non-existent.
  Your criticisms are really quite valid as you set them up.  Given your
cultural sensibilities and the superficial evidence you present (I say this
as  description, not a moral value), you have every right to feel offended.
But in that context, your arguments are themselves quite narrow and
one-sided--a response to what you seem to see as an equally narrow and
one-sided "regulation."  If you wish to extend your criticism beyond the
personal, I think it is important that you search for understanding, rather
than start with answers.  For, by starting with a reasonable question, what
may seem offensive to you at first may lead to a deep and fulfilling
dialogue.

Judah Cohen.
(who was first introduced to the complexities of "Kol Isha" when a woman
brought it up to me just as I was pushing to convert my Jewish a cappella
singing group from all male to co-ed).