Fw: Kol Isha

Reflections on a controversial issue that effects many who are involved in
Jewish Music.

From: shirona
To: NYCJewishMusic-owner (at) yahoogroups(dot)com
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2001 1:19 PM
Subject: Kol Isha

Dear Gili and list,

Thank you for posting all the great musical events in the NY area - but I must
respond to this issue.

Every time I see the "warning" on the issue of Kol Isha I feel a shock - like
static electricity that zaps your hand on a cold and dry day. It HURTS!!  Do
you male folk have any idea how humiliating, degrading, repressing, insulting -
this horrible "term" makes women feel?  This woman, anyway.

Kol Isha Ervah... our voices an expression of nakedness, lasciviousness,
forbidden sexuality...  Is this really true??  Or does the real problem lie in
the realm of the male psyche... ( be honest, guys...)

This is my outrage - how DARE you men - attach such negative connotations to
our voices, trying to silence and degrade us women - if YOU are the ones having
a problem?  OK... I realize that this is typical male conduct.  Just look at
the status of women throughout history and try and figure out WHY.  Kind of a
"no brainer" - isn't it.

A question for the "Rabbinical Authorities" (as you suggested, Gili) - When in
Jewish History did this practice begin?  Obviously not in the days of the Bible
- or else we wouldn't have Shirat Hayam, no? Was there any "ervah" in Miriams
voice back then?  I really want to know - WHO was the first Rabbi/s to
introduce this mysogynistic decree?  When? Why didn't women protest? (like it
would do them any good)

How can we move ahead from this embarrassment to the Jewish Religion? Is this
not the same as how Muslims treat their women - cover them from head-to-toe and
G-d knows what else - because of the same basic male insecurities?  Did G-d
ever say "Kol Isha Ervah"?  I don't think so. I'm sure G-d  LOVES  to hear us
sing.  Our voices can be beautiful... and spiritual...and full of pure kavanah.
  If some men have a problem by getting sexually aroused by women's voices ( or
other parts...),   which is no "chiddush"  - then THEY are responsible to
handle the problem.  They can consult the "Rabbinical Authorities with their
problem - and allow US to sing in public!   No,  G-d never said "Kol Isha
Ervah"...  It was just another insecure male who might have been a Rabbi.  Look
where it got us.  Enough already!

Shirona

* * *  Singer / Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music * * *
          www.shirona.com