    From: Basya Schechter <basya (at) ultinet(dot)net>
    To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
    Date: Friday, March 10, 2000 12:38 PM
    Subject: Pharaoh's Daughter notice & Kol Isha..)

    Hi everybody,

    Here's a notice for a very KOL ISHA show and thoughts on the discussion,
which has been very interesting for me.  First the show:

    1.Pharaoh's Daughter performs at the   "NEW VOICES FROM ISRAEL" series
    Makor (35W. 67th Street)
    TUESDAY, March 14th  - 9:30pm
    (basya-oud/guitar/vocals, tracey-flute/krumhorn/vocals, jen-tabla,
martha-cello/vocals, benoir-electric guitar, seido-balkan and middle eastern
percussion, w/guest matt-tapan - (Debra Nussbaum in an article for the Jewish
Telegraphic Agency describes the band:)
    Schechter of Pharaoh's Duaghter's music, "borrows echoes from the
prayer-filled cadences of her youth as a fervently Orthodox girl in the haredi
world of Borough Park, Brooklyn, weaves them with Middle Eastern syncopation
and ties it all in with her hip New York chick's ironic sensibility to create
something totally original."

    2.At 8:00 pm Victoria Hana, (israeli singer, quoted as one of most unique
creators in vocal performance) is performing "Tzach Vaadom" (Pure and Red) with
Frank London (an exploration of ancient text with modern & sacred melodies)
     $12 for both shows

    Now some thoughts on Kol Isha, (I am a little nervous to speak out, but
hear goes.)
    I've noticed lately that there's a growing group of Orthodox, that grapple
with all these Halachas, which proves that things are changing and being
reexplored, but slowly and only in certain areas. But there is  community, it's
very much the same as ever.  I'm going home for Shabbos in Monsey, my little
sisters sing the same songs I did, ( a few new ones) and we are all going to
sing the same zemiros, and keep the same laws the same way I did growing up.
    Despite the fact that we don't see what's happening artistically with
Orthodox women, I can say from experience, that until the age 18 (i don't know
much about the community after that) girls are creating fantastic music and
art.  Most of my initial source of inspiration comes from having sung in these
massive groups of girls, who have a whole repertoire of music (liturgical and
spiritual) that have been passed down generation to generation, with
unbelievable harmonies, and interpretations and inflections.  They love love
love music and singing, and drama and art, and have festivals, and productions
within the community and schools.
    A lot of times once women get married and have children shortly after high
school or seminary, the creativity gets channeled into child rearing and house
building which is part of the routine, some continue to create music and put on
concerts for women only but there's a certain set of styles, that are
comfortable with and are used to in their listening vocabulary.

    I know that it seems like having a concert for women only would be buckling
to the establishment; but in doing so it's like punishing who is called
"repressed" (i'm confused about wether i think they are actually repressed)
even further, like saying, ok, the men repress you by not allowing your voices
to be heard, now let us the women repress you for them not letting women be
heard.  I think women who only could go to women only concerts would be
appreciate the music so much, and would be inspired and infused with so much
new spirt, and liberation, it would be a gift and would actually probably work
better as a catalyst for change from the inside than boycotting them.  And for
that reason alone it would be worth it to have them have the opportunity to
listen.  I myself would love to go back to Boro Park and put on a few concerts
for women.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->