Subject: Re: Cross-fertilization of Jewish and non-Jewish music
Author:  <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org> at Tcpgate
Date:    12/28/98 1:09 PM

Richard,

Idelsohn has a chapter "Song of the Synagogue" in Jewish Music.  I've
also heard that Eric Werner is good to read on the relationship
between Jewish and Christian music, but I don't have any of his books
yet.  Should I?

I believe that I've also heard the "Maoz Tsur" melody used in a record
of a seder from Northern Africa (perhaps Fez, Morrocco).  I wish I
knew how it got there.  It's fascinating how these tunes can travel.

Bob