Re: Re[2]: Cross-fertilization of Jewish and non-Jewish music

Bob:
Here's my $.02......
Speaking of reprint books:
Did anyone mention Albert Weisser's Modern Renaissance of Jewish Music?

Other books:
A "must have" for those who study synagogue music: I especially like Amnon
Shiloah's Jewish Musical Traditions and Joseph Levine's Synagogue Song in
America.

And no one mentioned Mark Slobin's Chosen Voices? It's really a wonderful
read as well as a good history of the cantorate in America. Its full of
colorful anecdotes and quotes from sources of the day giving a zesty and
often amusing picture of early Jewish life in America.

And the awesome book by Macy Nulman: Concepts of Jewish Music and Prayer.
(out of print?-- does anyone have a copy of this available?)
Hanoch Avernary's Ashkenazy Tradition of Biblical Chant Between 1500-1900
(out of print)
Does anyone know of a copy of Off the Willows by Abraham Soltes?

The Peter Gradenwitz, The Music of Israel is a revised and expanded version
of the previous book. It's good to have the newer edition even if you
already have the older version.
Judy.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->