Re: Cross-fertilization of Jewish and non-Jewish music

Bob:
For finding material on Jewish themes in classical music.....There are
books, dissertations and articles, yes.

You can do some searching for this in a music bibliographic databases at
your local library... but here are some ideas of "classical music"
composers to start:

Some of the obvious examples come to mind:

Ravel, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Mahler and Dessau.

Then you have examples such as Milhaud, Castelnuovo-Tedesco and Copland.

There are several composers such as Shostakovich and Clemens von
Franckenstein (1875-1942) who used Jewish themes as a kind of musical
protest or resistence.

We can also find articles on Jewish influence in troubadour music, organ
music, church music and so forth. It is not possible to list all the
sources here.
Judy

At 05:39 PM 12/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Is there any material (e.g., books, articles, dissertations,
>discographies) on Jewish musical themes in classical music, especially
>the less obvious compositions?  I do think that I saw something in the
>Jewish Theological Seminary collection of dissertations from the
>Cantorial School, but it was basically on the more obvious
>copositions, e.g., Bloch.
>
>I would also be especially interested in material on the use of
>non-Jewish themes, popular or classical, in Jewish liturgical music
>(besides the Aleinu tunes and Adon Olam settings to popular song).
>
>Bob

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->