Re: Kol Isha

Linda, and Trudi,

I'm not going to get into the problem of simply
deciding for oneself which halachot are valid or not
(that's something with which this list isn't really
set up with which to deal, although obviously
tradition is against it) except to note that the point
of halacha is to *avoid* having God whisper into
people's ears - whispering gods is the sort of thing
that results in homocide bombers and preemptive,
illegal wars, however, I will note that in fact there
ARE Orthodox women rabbis,and have been for some time
- not a lot, but a growing number. And if we drop the
word "Orthodox" there have certainly been women in
traditional circles acting as rabbis as far back as
the talmud, including a few (although not in the
talmud) who were referred to as "rabbanit."

In any case, I rather think that we're wildly
off-topic, and would love a return to discussion of
music...

Alana Suskin
--- Trudi Goodman <goobietheg (at) hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

---------------------------------

Here's the deal and here's the dance. As a woman
performer I refuse to abide by Kol Isha. I consider it
a man-made law and not a G-d made law. When people,
particularly men, who have a vested interest in
wanting to keep women in their place religiously and
culturally start siting law to substantiate their
views...well all I can say is there isn't any reason
why people should put up with it.

If you can show me that HaShem doesn't want women to
sing around men and male children.  That HaShem has
actually leaned into your ear and told you that for an
absolute fact...then I'll listen.

Otherwise, it's just speculation.  And I refuse to
believe that HaShem would want half of society to not
fulfill themselves creatively and personally in any
setting.  HaShem is all about love NOT
narrow-mindedness.

I grew up around Orthodoxy and Chassidism...when there
is a woman rabbi and/or cantor in those reigious
traditions then I'll actually feel like I want to
listen to this type of woman-hating. woman adversation
behavior masquerading as religious thought. And
address it!

Hey if the men don' like the women's voices WHY DON'T
THEY GET UP AND LEAVE???

Darned presumptious to think that a woman OUGHT to!

Hey, there's a reason why some people, myself included
stopped addressing the Kol Isha issue on this
list...it's not my experience that this issue will be
resolved. It hasn't been in the Jewish community,
specifically or at large.

Shalom,

Trudi Goodman

 Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @