Re: Kol Isha

So what you are saying is that it is not offensive to say those things
which I find offensive. That is a logical impossibility. You cna say
that I am hypersensitive, or that my understanding of a topic is
uninformed, or that I do not make a cogent argument. You cannot say that
i am not offended by something you said. I am. And I will not address
this with you further, because to be frank, a person that deligitimizes
jewish law in the way that you have cannot be responded to because there
is no logical common ground to explain the disagreement. It is a fact
that Halacha depends on accepting Rabbinical authority. One is free to
reject halacha, but saying that it works in a way other than the one
that we know to be true is inaccurate. Those who observe it choose to do
so because as part of their belief system they accept the validity of
the process. You do not, which is fine, but that is what the real
disagreement is about.

JH

Trudi Goodman wrote:

> I read your posts. I just don't agree with you. And hey that's what
> makes a horse race.
>
> Shalom,
>
> Trudi
>

> >From: Jordan Hirsch
> >To: World music from a Jewish slant
> >Subject: Re: Kol Isha
> >Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:14:49 -0500
> >
> >well, I have plenty of Rachmanus. If you read my posts, what I found
> >offensive was a very specific portion of your post having to do with
> the
> >nature of Rabbinic authority when there is no explicit word of God on
>
> >the subject. Yoou should go back and re-read my posts. I am very
> >specific.
> >The question of rights is not for me an issue. Not because they are
> not
> >important,
> >but because every individual may perceive their needs differently,
> and
> >therefore requires a solution that works for them. If you are being
> >denied something important to you, than it is the responsibility of
> the
> >community with which you are dealing to treat you in an honest
> ethical
> >fashion. It does not require all of the Jewsih community to throw out
>
> >the Shulchan Aruch.
> >
> >JH
> >

> >Trudi Goodman wrote:
> >

> > > Dear Jordan:
> > >
> > > I love being Jewish.  I believe that HaShem gave me a heart and
> mind
> > > and talent and the ability and the perserverance to use it.  Am I
> > > offensive... nishts. Am I passionate? I certainly hope so. If you
> > > believe that halachically or otherwise that women are treated
> fairly
> > > through these kinds of restrictions on movement and thought...I
> > > suggest you come back as a Jewish woman and see if you enjoy this
> kind
> > > of thing.  Is this enough now?  Anybody who knows me, knows that I
>
> > > have a good heart and a generous spirit. Believe whatever you
> want...I
> > > fully intend on believing just what I want. And ahemmm since when
> is
> > > the idea that HaShem loves everyone and encourages and grants
> > > creativity offensive??? With tongue firmly planted in cheek I
> suggest
> > > that you have your rachmones(empathy) meter check...clearly the
> > > batteries are running low.
> > >
> > > Shalom,
> > >
> > > Trudi

> was

> [...]