Re: cRAP, Jewish or Otherwise - My Many Opinions!

There's a good rule of thumb to avoid making
statements that could appear racist or sexist (we all
know of course that these are usually inadvertent, so
I'm assuming that this is an exercise which people
will want to try).
It's actually quite easy. First, avoid statements that
say x are y; e.g. blondes are stupid, blacks are
musical, women like children. THese kind of statements
besides being offensive are just factually wrong;
although they might apply to some instances of the
set, they are unlikely to ever apply to all of them.
Second, any statement where you sum up a group, if you
replace the group with the word "men" and it sounds
funny, rude or stupid, you're probably best off not
making the statement: e.g. men are musical, men are
stupid, men like children. (OTOH some men, are
musical, some men like children, and some men are
stupid - but it's certainly not a necessary quality of
being male, any more than it is a necessary, or even
common, quality of being female, black or blonde...)

Just a suggestion.

Alana

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->