Re: cRAP, Jewish or Otherwise - My Many Opinions!

For me, the main problems I have with rap is the inherent violence and
attitude disrespect for others, including the borrowing of music without
attribution or compensation.  I realize that this is not the case with
all of this genre, but enough so that it has come to represent it for
many listeners.  I have been trying to think of another type of music
that is so, and can not come up with one, well maybe with the exception
of some of the grunge rock whose lyrics I'm too much of an old fogey to
understand much of anyway.  ;-)

I admire the art of extemporaneous rhyming poetry, and I know it has been
around for a long time before rap, in the African-American culture as
well as others.  When I first heard "Rappers Delight" I thought it was
fun, but was annoyed that they used "Good Times" as the musical
background.  I remember talking to Alan White (drummer for Yes) about how
he wanted to sue because some rapper had sampled his track without
permission.  GrandMaster Flash's "White Lines" was astonishing.  Malcolm
McLaren took it to another level and dimension.  Then the negativity came
in and it wasn't fun anymore--for me.  I won't go into the details, but I
think it could be used better than it is.  Then again, I can't stand the
message being put across by popular figures such as Brittany or Paris,
either (people, not places)

Lorele

 On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:24:29 -0500 "Shirona" <shirona (at)
bellatlantic(dot)net>

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->