Re: cRAP, Jewish or Otherwise - My Many Opinions!

Bumbaclot mon.  Let's see if anyone figures that out.  Well said.  I did a gig
with Frank London a couple of months ago with Aaron Bisman on turntables and DJ
So Called (Josh Dolgin) on accordian and sampler.  They sampled not only
Hip-Hop beats but Klezmer and cantors as well.  It was great and it was a very
creative moment.  I'm not here to toot the horn of Frank London, but here is a
true innovator in music.  He took  elements of different cultures and allowed
electronics to be a part of the performance.  And yes, Aaron Alexander still
played drums!  So this whole thread about rap/hip-hop being crap is just
absurd.  Here are some great and talented musicians listening and using the
tools at their disposal.  Just as there is good classical music and bad
classical music there is good and bad rap.  In general, learn the difference
between good and bad.  For those of you who have been living under a rock for
the last 25 years I suggest you go back under it.  I think Roni makes great
 points and we should just drop the subject.  Sorry I asked.

Rmsarig (at) aol(dot)com wrote:
An interesting discussion, one that I was prepared to stay out of, despite the
fact that I might be the person on the list most connected to rap/hip-hop (in
addition to writing books like The Jewish Family Fun Book, I write about
hip-hop for Rolling Stone and Vibe magazines -- don't ask). Now that I seem to
be the only one to NOT put my two cents in, I feel compelled.
Obviously, I think hip-hop deserves attention, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted
the years I've put into paying attention to it. (By the way, "rap" is what
people do when they recite rhymes in rhythm; "hip-hop" is the name of a set of
cultural practices that includes rapping, turntable scratching, breakdancing,
graffiti, etc.; "hip-hop music" is the style of music that combines rapping
with turntable scratching and other musical elements)
But is it music? Probably, based on the fact that there is melody (granted,
less than European forms that place an emphasis on melody) and tons of rhythm
(generally far more complex than European forms). But, really, who cares? We
don't define a cultural practice and then look to see what fits into the
definition -- that's backward. We look at what's out there that people are
doing and responding to, and then we figure out what to call it later. So if
you want to say that it's not music, fine. Maybe it's not. Maybe it's just
something else -- a hybrid that doesn't quite fit easily into previously
defined demarcations (say, between music, poetry, rhetoric and oration). So
that just means we need to come up with a new term and a new understanding for
it, that's all, not to deny it's legitimacy. It's beyond obvious that hip-hop
is a legitimate cultural expression (is there such a thing as an illegitimate
cultural expression?). Just the sheer number of its fans will tell you that.
Sure, much of what passes as hip-hop in the commercial marketplace is
problematic in its glorification of anti-social activities. But 1) that's by no
means all there is to hip-hop, and 2) even if that was all there is to hip-hop,
that would not de-legitimize it. Hip-hop's dark side is just that, and I have
no intention of apologizing for it. The bad stuff is just bad. And the
pathologies it flaunts are real issues for people to look at rather than
dismiss. If you'd rather not, that's fine. But you can't deny it's connection
with millions and millions of human beings on this planet.
As to the practice of sampling that someone brought up: To me, it's completely
legitimate. Granted, it can violate some sensible copyright laws, but on an
aesthetic level, how is borrowed a riff or chord structure any different from
what folk musicians have done for millennia? Again, just because it doesn't fit
neatly within the set of aesthetics we have developed for ourselves doesn't
mean it's not legitimate. It's time to forge new aesthetic understandings.

But is it art? Not going there -- too big a waste of time. For those who have
figured out exactly where the lines are drawn between what's art and what's
not, congratulations. The view inside the box you've sealed yourself in must be
quite blissful.
I have to say, I thought this question about hip-hop and art had been settled a
few decades ago. I sort of feel like I'm in a time warp to 1989.
Respectfully,
Roni

with "bad art" - but with the hijacking of true and sincere judgment...
People are made to feel "insecure" about their gut feelings regarding art or
music by those who profess to be "more enlightened than thou". I've heard
and regurgitated all those arguments..."don't criticize what you can't
understand".  It is precisely this fear (of being thought of as
"unenlightened" or "unsophisticated" or just plain ignorant) that caused
people to shut up and say nothing...and to end up not even knowing HOW they
feel.  Cultural Entropy.

Read articles about hip-hop or rap...?  What for?  To find out what I'm
somehow "not getting"?  If there was anything attractive about it for me - I
probably would, on my own, without having to be intimidated into doing so.
I'm sorry - not everything is relative.  For me there is an "absolute"
difference between lyrics that say "I want to hold your hand" (even if that
was really, really "radical" back then...;-) and those who say "I want to
f--- your little sister".  Female singers have morphed into soft-porn
"artists".  (Gee - am I missing the "above my comprehension abilities"
message in this "art-form"?

Folks - please re-read this story by Hans Christian Andersen

http://hca.gilead.org.il/emperor.html

Maybe it's about us.

Shirona
Singer, Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music
   www.shirona.com
   www.cdbaby.com/shirona