Re: cRAP, Jewish or Otherwise - My Many Opinions!

At 11:51 AM 3/22/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>...and the blacks dances reals goods too...  sheesh...  man, can't you see
>that rap is part of their culture?

When you say "their culture," are you referring to the black, church-going
people who are trying to decently raise their children in inner-city
neighborhoods with crime and inferior schools. Perhaps you are referring to the
burgeoning black middle-class, who, after desegregation, left the ghetto and
not longer want any part of it? Is it "their culture" as well?  Would these
people rather have their children use drugs and firearms--a "gangsta"
imperative--or go to college? So, I guess it's not part of "their culture."

To the best of my knowledge, earlier African cultures were non-literate.
CULTURALLY, the people from the African continent seem to have very high
musical aptitude. I do not know why, but I meant it as a great compliment. I
learned it the fun way, by trying to sing in a black gospel choir.

>"black people are the most musical on the planet?"  Where the hell did you get
>that quote from?  Al Jolson?  You pulled that stereotype out of your butt.  I
>know some black folks that snap there fingers on 1 and 3.  Maybe Don Byron
>should join up on this list and say that Klezmer is an awful commentary on the
>state of Jewish ghetto culture.  Would you like that?

This would be inaccurate because--again, to the best of my knowledge--most of
the klezmer musicians on this list strike me as coming from middle class
backgrounds and not the ghetto.

To me, coming from a Jewish middle class background and NOT being a
"professional" is indeed a healthy development!

Eliott Kahn