Re: cRAP, Jewish or Otherwise - My Many Opinions!

  I'm not sure who on this list committed the sin of saying that rap isn't
art...I'm glad it wasn't me - because what followed is a serious "beating"
from the ranks of the "culturally correct".  Please make sure to read the
emails carefully!!  In my very first response to this thread I stated
clearly that I wasn't going to "go there" (defining what is or isn't art) -
and repeating the same list of arguments that question the process of
determining what is or isn't art gets to be tiresome....we've been there and
done that already.

  It's interesting to look at the similarities between the worlds of fine
art and music.  As I mentioned earlier it seemed to me that we came to a
dead-end in the world of fine art...these are just my personal observations.
We got to see empty canvasses, feces and urine as "legitimate" mediums
(wanna argue about that?)  12 feet genitals, "conceptual art" (the gallery
displayed little scribbles of ideas by very enlightened artists that saw no
purpose in actually "creating" their art) - shock for the sake of shocking
was getting pretty boring...especially when there was nothing behind the
"shock".  Those who love art and get a high from being face-to-face with a
real masterpiece will still go to a museum and visit...alas...dead white
(mostly) male artists. (Please...I'm a feminist...don't jump on my case for
this one!)

  But there are two big differences between the worlds of art and music,
albeit the common "de-evolution" in standards and the climate of "cultural
correctness" that legitimizes everything - regardless of how revolting:  Not
that much $$ in the art "avant guard" - and no one can say that "bad art"
influenced an entire generation of kids...  Music has so much power and
beauty and spirituality...and it hurts me when it is used as a conduit for
the lowest of human impulses - violence, pornography, hatred, contempt,
anger, hubris...I simply think that MUSIC deserves better companionship. For
those who like this music - (or like making excuses for it) - "labri'ut".
To your health! We all have the right to our opinions.

  Shirona
  Singer, Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music
     www.shirona.com
     www.cdbaby.com/shirona