Re: cRAP, Jewish or Otherwise - My Many Opinions!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farfl's House" <farfl (at) idirect(dot)ca>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: cRAP, Jewish or Otherwise - My Many Opinions!

> In my sometimes-not-so-humble opinion, "rap Artist" and "rap Music" are
> oxymorons.  I prefer to side with the late bassist John Entwhistle who
> was of the opinion that rap was for those that couldn't sing.  I'm also
> of the opinion
> that drum machines are for demo tapes and should be used as a practicing
> tool only.  They have no place in recorded music being released to the
> public.

I'm not a fan of rap - I have no idea what a rap "artist" is saying.  But I
think it has its roots in another mostly black form of music - calypso.  The
message in calypso is more important than the music, and it is hard for an
outsider to understand.

Some calypso performers, and outsiders like Harry Belafontaine, made calypso
popular by opening it up to those who had trouble with the rhythm of the
speech and the vocabulary, and who missed the double-entendres.