Re: Kol Isha

>But if the man has control of a public platform and he prevents the woman
>from singing, then de facto she MAY NOT SING. Lorele's situation amounted to
>that.

But according to Lorele, it was a woman who controlled the situation. And not
because she was "held hostage", but because she made a promise to someone who
would not listen to Kol Isha.
Whatever the case, though I see the compromise as a better solution, if the
organization decides not to hire a female singer, that is their perogative.
The intention of organizations who abide by KI is usually (though not always)
to be as inclusive as possible, which means meeting  the religious needs of
some people, however few. One can understand that female singers will feel left
out since they cannot perform. But they are in no way excluded from the event.
Conversely, if women do sing at the event, those who may not listen are
actively excluded. They simply may not attend because of religious law (please
do not say that they have to change their principles - that is not going to
happen). And I know a few on this list have expressed no problem excluding
them. But if the event organizers want to be as inclusive as possible, then
they would have to not have Kol Isha (or use the compromise solution).

Elie