Kol Isha

I get the list in digest form, which is messy.  I suggest all posts NOT
contain the preceeding list, as most posts wind up appearing numerous
times.  And somehow, mixed into the discussion of Kol Isha and the
accompanying extraneous HTML clutter, appears "Love, Rosa Parks," numerous
times.  I would assume that the famous Rosa Parks is Protestant - is there
also a Jewish Rosa Parks participating in our discussions?  And what Steve
Martin character?  Surely not Rosa Parks.
Together with "frummer than thou," I've heard certain parties accused of
being "neo-frum."
The St. Louis Circle of Jewish Music was founded in 1970 by
representatives of the Reform, Conservative and Orthodox denominations. 33
years later the Circle is thriving, but there are no longer Orthodox
cantors in the organization, and I believe Kol Isha to be the reason.  If
certain parties hear women sing on tv, radio, etc. but then make Kol Isha
an objection to women singing in public concerts, there's severe
inconsistency.  (And if they boycott broadcast media for that reason
they've really got their heads in the sand.)  The Orthodox denomination
would like to recruit from elsewhere in the Jewish community, but
isolating themselves in this way contradicts that.  Certainly, the rest of
us aren't going to change to that perspective.  We live in an era of great
changes in western culture, and the continuing emancipation of women is an
important part of that.
One more thought: Is there scripture saying that the Hebrew men excused
themselves when Miriam sang by the sea of reeds?

Fred Blumenthal
xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->