freedom

Alex, this is not freedom.

The woman is denied the right to exercise her singing profession if men
decide she cannot do so.

It is not just that they are free to leave.

ANd Sylvia's remark did NOT imply an association with terrorism, if you
read her message with the remotest degree of attention, she is talking
about a process of REASONING.
Saying it isn't a command for women is nonsense - maybe not in theory
but in practice.

When women are free to sing IN PUBLIC and men are indeed free to attend
or leave, that's cool.

Misguided , in my opinion, but , well, ok.

But how many times must we repeat:
WHEN A WOMAN'S PERFORMANCE IS CANCELLED BECAUSE A FEW MEN FEEL ALL MEN
SHOULD BE PROHIBITED FROM HEARING IT THAT IS NOT FREEDOM.

THAT IS NOT FREEDOM.

And if it's hypocritically masquerading as freedom of choice, it's even
worse.
If there's anything that infuraites me it's "oh, women are so much more
spiritually strong than men that we men have to restrict what they can
do and they have to realize it's because we honour them so much".

THAT IS NOT FREEDOM.

Sylvia recounts that a male singer left the room after his part was over
, knowing a woman singer followed. FIne. No problem. (except for him,
missing the singer.) But what about here in Toornto when non-religious
Jewish organizers - headed by a woman professor of sociology, yet - took
both me and a Yemenite Jewish woman singer out of a concert of five
musicians - in a university concert hall - at the last minute because
one male performer was a hazan and his rabbi threatened to fire him if
he sang on a stage "which would be contaminated by the presence of women
singing"?

THAT IS NOT FREEDOM.
For anyone, in fact.

Judith