Re: vibrato

Alright, I'll try my best to explain how to get the DT quiver.  I find that
basically, its a mix of three simultanious techniques.  These involve movements
in the lip, movements in the jaw, and movements from the lower tounge area.
Basically, the movement in the jaw and lower tounge go hand in hand.  It is a
slight shake in the jaw (very slight!) that causes the lower tounge to move
(just a little bit)-- so that basically kills two birds, with one stone.  More
importantly is the movemnt in the bottom lip.  This is where the real 'vibrato'
comes from.  Not used traditionally in any type of music, I find it quite
unique in jew muz. I just recently learned about it, but im startin to get the
hang.  Whats most important is that the up and down motion is very, very, very
small.  I cant begin to stress how small it should be.  It should LOOK like the
lip is NOT moving, thats how small the movement should be. If the lip is moved
too much, it will sound like a recent pete fountain record, in his old age (the
man still performs, he is amazing, but the lip is starting to loose control of
itself).  Thats what i call the 'loose lip', which is certainly not
appropriate.  If there is a slight movement, then the quiver can be achieved.
It adds an amazing color to the melody.  Im only learning this myself, but I
hope this can help a little!-- Michael Winograd