Re: vibrato

In a message dated 2/6/02 11:22:26 PM, Messiah701 (at) aol(dot)com writes:

<< You might want to talk to a guy named Markus Bishko (im not sure if thats
his last name exactly.)  He is a great klezmer fluteist.  He playes in the
Alaska klezmer band-- i dont know how to contact him, but if you do, he could
be of great help.  MW >>

Thanks, but Markus basically does his own thing, which is fine, but it's not
what I'm after.
I'm also a professional flutist (teach flute at the college level, principal
of 2 symphony orchestras, the ol' classical route) who is looking for an
answer to this via some historical reference and based upon knowledge of how
to replicate what I hear as being a very fast, shallow vibrato, mostly on
longer notes. I'm coming to the conclusion that, after listening lately to
recordings of classical flutists of around 1930's era, that they are using
their throat muscles combined with far less air pressure. Over the decades
flutists have rid themselves of this "nannygoat" approach (the term commonly
used for the very fast, jittery vibrato), employing a smoother, slower
vibrato, although with varying speeds. I'm certainly able to vary the speed
of my vibrato; no problem there. But beyond, say, around 6 pulses per second,
I can't do it justice or at least not for more than a quick note. But I am
intrigued with the shimmering intensity of the nannygoat variety and, if
nothing else, would like the option to choose it if I wished and therefore
need to know as much as I can. Yet, I might learn how to achieve and maintain
this extremely fast vibrato but then eventually decide to discard it.
Or maybe I won't...
(Are you by any chance related to other Winograds who are classical
musicians? Just curious.)
Adrianne