From: <Messiah701 (at) aol(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 7:18 PM
Subject: Re: vibrato

> How interesting!  I recently took a clarinet lesson with Andy Statman.
The first thing that he noticed (and quickly changed in) my playing, was how
I made use of vibrato.  I used it every so often to embelish certain held
out notes, and to add color to certain sustained tones.  He told me that
Dave used a constant vibrato.  It is a very light vibrato, unlike that used
as an ornament (because it is constant.)  The one he taught me is more of a
quiver than a traditionally used wider vibrato.  This is something that is
unique to the clarinet I suppose,  and it changed my sound completely. I
thought you all might find it interesting!!    Michael Winograd