Re: vibrato

In a message dated 2/5/02 12:10:01 AM, Messiah701 (at) aol(dot)com writes:

<< Alright, I'll try my best to explain how to get the DT quiver.  I find
that basically, its a mix of three simultanious techniques.  These involve
movements in the lip, movements in the jaw, and movements from the lower
tounge area.  Basically, the movement in the jaw and lower tounge go hand in
hand.  It is a slight shake in the jaw (very slight!) that causes the lower
tounge to move (just a little bit)-- so that basically kills two birds, with
one stone.  More importantly is the movemnt in the bottom lip.  This is where
the real 'vibrato' comes from.  Not used traditionally in any type of music,
I find it quite unique in jew muz. I just recently learned about it, but im
startin to get the hang.  Whats most important is that the up and down motion
is very, very, very small.  I cant begin to stress how small it should be.
It should LOOK like the lip is NOT moving, thats how small the movement
should be. If the lip is moved too much, it will sound like a recent pete
fountain record, in his old age (the man still performs, he is amazing, but
the lip is starting to loose control of itself).  Thats what i call the
'loose lip', which is certainly not appropriate.  If there is a slight
movement, then the quiver can be achieved. It adds an amazing color to the
melody.  Im only learning this myself, but I hope this can help a little!--
Michael Winograd

Aha, I thought it was going to be an explanation of vibrato using what I
thought you had described as an "inner oral cavity" process, not with the
lips, basically. This is strictly a clarinet issue. Thanks anyway.
Adrianne