Re: Sherill Milnes/Kalmanoff's "The Joy of Prayer"

I actually sang in the choir with Sherrill Milnes for "The Joy of Prayer" in
Washington, DC - it's funny to see this discussed.  For what it's worth, the
choir I briefly sopranoed with was the Oratorio Society of Washington, one of
several excellent symphonic choirs in DC - in my opinion, the best .. The
conductor, Robert Shafer is, I think, a fairly religious Catholic, and a very
spiritual person, besides being a superb musician.  Sherrill Milnes, on the
other hand, was not very interested in chatting with a little starstruck
opera fan.  (Sniff!)  He also never seemed very interested in the gig, which
made it all the stranger for us, the choir, when we got wind of what his fee
was.

On Michl's chat with Kalmanoff - I met Kalmanoff several years ago and did
some songs of his in recital - quite nice settings of Emily Dickinson and
Millay.  He's also written at least one opera that was done in New York by
the Contemporary Opera .. (forget exact name of the co.)  I'm thrilled to
hear he's still around - I'll have to get back in touch.  He must be quite
elderly by now.  I imagine his phone number is in the NY phone book (at least
I hope so).

Ilana

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->