RE: survey of who is doing what jewish music

Ok, I'll be the person on the left...

Although I am new to this list, when I discovered it I felt that I had
come "home", home meaning that subsection of Jewish music that I love so
much. It is what I consider the late 20th-21st century manifestation of
"Yiddishkeit". I come from the musician as well as fan sides of the
fence (if there is a fence). I enjoy listening to and playing:

Klezmer
Israeli (qualified - the Israeli that is more "Jewish" as opposed to the
Israeli         that is pop music that happens to be sung in Hebrew - Ba'shana
        Ha'ba'aa is a good example of the former)
Yiddish Folk and Theatre Music
Chassidic Music - the songs and the niggunim - not the current Chassidic
        bands
Separdic (again qualified - most of the Sephardic repertoire that
Tzimmes does
        I like a lot - I have trouble relating to some of the more esoteric
        repertoire that Voice of the Turtle does, e.g.)
Liturgical Music done in a celebratory manner - Yismakh Moshe/Yismkhu by
        Wholesale Klezmer Band, e.g.

I suspect that if I knew a lot more about other types of world music I
would like  a lot of it, too (for instance the Latin interlude in Flying
Bulgar's Ale Brider is wonderful)

I think that celebratory (both in terms of enjoying a celebration and in
terms of what makes me feel good about being Jewish) is the operational
word here.

I think that the display name on the list, "World music from a Jewish
slant.", is right on the mark.

Dick Rosenberg

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->