Re: survey of who is doing what jewish music

Dear all,

My primary interest is Sephardic music (as differentiated from Muzikah
Mizrahit/Mediterranit,) Within that genre, i prefer Sephardi popular
music(cantigas, romanzas, dirges, etc.)  to liturgical music.

I would love to see more discussions of Sephardi music, and would be happy
to facilitate. (I am currently preparing a comprehensive discography of
Sephardic music, and when I have a draft ready, will ask the list's help in
vetting and improving it.)

Having said that, I expect that the list topics will naturally gravitate
towards the collective interests of it's participants, and that seems to be
Klezmer!

B'shalom,

Joel

At 08:54 AM 2/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I got a query a couple of days ago from someone new to the list
>who was dismayed that there were only posts regarding klezmer
>music and wasn't sure if there was anyone here on the list who
>was interesting/involved with Cantorial music.
>
>It occurred to me that it might be a nice idea to survey people
>on the group and get a sense of the diversity that is (hopefully)
>represented here, including both fans or musicians who are also
>fans.
>
>I realize that my interests tend to be somewhat limited with
>regard to the span of "jewish music" overall, and worry, in turn,
>that I am limiting the list because I don't have questions or
>comments in areas that I know less.
>
>First off, I am a fan, not a musician. (When I blew a bad blues
>harp in Jerusalem 20 years ago, it was bad, not baaaaaad.) I tend
>to gravitate towards some Israeli rock and especially the parts
>that fuse many musical traditions. (Yehuda Poliker comes to mind,
>or the original "Breira Ha-tiv'it). These days, I listen much
>more to a zillion forms of klezmer, and, increasingly, new Yiddish
>music; occasionally Sephardic music. You can follow the klezmer side
>of my explorations at the Klezmer Shack:
>   http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/
>
>Okay, now it's the turn of the person on my left ;-).
>
>ari
>

>Ari Davidow
>The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/
>owner: jewish-music mailing list