Re: Kol Isha amd Sheyndele Oyaher z"l

The other day I learned of the passing of Moyshe Oysher's sister, Freydele.
She sang with her brother in concerts of liturgical and other music under
the name Freydele di Khaznte. The audiences were male and female. And the
posters for these concerts were tacked up in the lobby of our local Orthodox
shuls in Brownsville..

There were other khazntes  as well (this was in the 40's, my earliest
memories) - Sheyndele di Khaznte, et al, usually family of famous khazonim.

I grew up in a diversified almost all Jewish environment which included
black hat/shaytl frum to Communists and anarchists. Yet there was stuff I
never encountered until recently -- I suspect that the neo-Orthodox baale
tshuve folks have gone way, way further than our most fervent frume mentshn.

Men and women danced in the same room, (sometimes together, sometimes with
handkerchiefs, sometimes in separate circles) women vocalists appeared with
the Klezmer bands (although they mostly sang pop tunes), even at very
religious weddings -- the exception being in Williamsburg. I think of it as
being "frumer than thou". And as for KI - it first came up in my life just a
few years ago here in Baltimore, when my Yiddish Club was refused a space in
the social club area of a synagogue run by Baale Tchuve - because, Heaven
forfend, there might be a KI situation.

And then there was last year's round of KI mail.

Sylvia Schildt
Baltimore, Maryland