  From: Alex J. Lubet
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 3:19 PM
  Subject: Re: Partch (off topic) Terezin (on-topic)

  He wasn't axed.  He was a visiting professor.  I dare say that, with his
  unconventional skills and lack of traditional skills and degrees, they'd have
  had a hard time keeping him on.

  The man was exceptionally iconoclastic, which indeed meant that he struggled.
  Being gay apparently didn't help, either.  Even if he were a bona fide
  exception, which I've been contesting, it wouldn't alter the typical
trajectory
  of composer's careers.  I'd still be hard put to think of any who had zero
  musical career and were post mortem declared geniuses.  For one thing, the
  chance that remnants of the work of such a person being preserved are slimmer
  than had that person published, recorded, performed publically.

  To bring this back to topic, I keep getting reminded of the artistic
productions
  from Terezin, the 'model' Nazi death camp whose victims were permitted
(forced?)
  to remain artistically active.  I attended programs of Terezin composers a
  couple of times and have been asked to work on a couple more.  I'd not been
  aware of any of the composers before and I'm not altogether sure what their
  reputations would be were it not for their ghastly fate.

  --
  Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
  Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music

  ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->