Re: Kol Isha

> But if the man has control of a public platform and
> he prevents the woman
> from singing, then de facto she MAY NOT SING.
maybe. But that has nothing to do with the
law. It´s how one person or one group chooses to
administer it.

In this case, people sought a compromise.
Give and take means just that.
If the presenters hadn´t stepped in, they
may have had a political problem, but not
a religious problem. The compromise agreed
to was between the parties involved, but
according to the law, she needn´t have stopped
singing. It would have been an obligation
for the men to leave - political problem,
not religious.

> Lorele's situation amounted to
> that. The command was "Lorele, YOU MAY NOT SING AT
> THAT CONCERT."
that´s a political decision, but not a religious
decision.

> It was not, Khayim Yoyne, YOU MAY LEAVE when Lorele
> sings.
see Above.

> However, if you COMPEL the
> > man to listen to the woman singing, even punish
> > him (derision, or exclusion, for instance), then
> > you have effectively FORCED him to listen!
>
> Nothing compels the man to remain in a venue where a
> woman is singing. He
> MAY LEAVE. But when you force a woman into silence,
> are you not punishing
> her?
>
> > And if you?re doing that AGAINST his will, then
> > you've taken over the role of the Taliban!
>

> Look, Taliban, shmaliban. The equitable thing is
> this: If you are in an
> environment in which (the prohibition of? aj)
KOL ISHA is the norm, the
> woman does not sing in front
> of men. No problem..When you are in a mixed
> environment, and a WOMAN WILL BE
> SINGING, men are informed in advance, and they can
> choose to absent
> themselves entirely, or leave WHEN THE WOMAN SINGS.
Correct. It was for the administrators to call.

> Anything else is coercion or at least a lack of
> courtesy and sensitivity.
Coercion? Methinks not. Just poor planning.

> How many yeshivas do you know where women could sit
> side by side with the
> men and study?
what´s the point? Does that determine the quality
or validity of the law? Women study in their schools,
men study in theirs. Or do we need to turn
all of Jewish society upside-down now, too?
G-d forbid.