Re: Yes! Judaism: A HEADNOTE

on 3/12/03 11:25 PM, Alex J. Lubet at lubet001 (at) umn(dot)edu wrote:

> Although we are all told this in our music classes when we are growing up,
> I'm hard put to think of an example.

Yes, I think many teachers like to perpetuate the mythical image of the
starving artist in a garrett.

> Perhaps there's an example or two out there, but they'd be the exceptions
> that prove the rule.  In general, one becomes an accomplished composer
> through professional experience, which means one must some sort of career and
> thus at least a little notoriety during one's life.

Two who come to my mind are jazz pianist/composer Herbie Nichols, who got
very little recognition during his lifetime, and microtonal composer Harry
Partch, who was largely an outcast of the composition establishment of his
time.

Seth

--
Seth Austen