Re: Pjotr Leschenko- Tango - Jewish Connections

In a message dated 3/3/3 6:11:05 PM, rar (at) slavic(dot)umass(dot)edu writes:

<< Lloica Czackis wrote:

> Does anyone know if the Polish composer of tangos, foxtrots & romances
> Pjotr Leschenko was Jewish?

        Petr Konstantinovich Leshchenko was born in 1898 in the village
of Isaevo, in the Odessa Guberniya.  His mother was an impoverished and.......

Recently we started to carry some very interesting Non-Jewish recordings. One
of these is "Echoes From Afar- Old World Tangos Vol 1".

The selections were recorded in Rumania, Turkey, Russia (Pjotr Leschenko),
Greece, Egypt (Farid el Atrache & sister Asmahan), and Algeria (by the great
Jewish singer, Lili Boniche ) in the late 20's thourgh the late 30's and
possibly early 40's.

Though the music is definatley not Jewish, there are references to Jewish
Musicians in general, and their influence of Tango, especially on the Turkish
Tango recordings from the 30's and 40's  that we will soon be carrying in the
store.

Other recordings that we now carry included the great Maria Tanase from
Rumania, and Rumanian singer "Sofia - Bukovina Songs" .
Again, these are NOT Jewish recordings, *bthe enclosed booklets mention the
influence of Jewish & gypsy musicians on the