Re: Kol Isha/Miriam's Song/Wagner

At 09:46 AM 2/24/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>--- Alex Lubet <lubet001 (at) umn(dot)edu> wrote:
> > I find the arguments of Marc Weiner, Paul Rose, and
> > Gottfried Wagner very
> > convincing as regards the depth of anti-Semitic
> > stereotypes in many of the
> > Wagner operas,
>
>can someone point me to some good printed sources for
>some of this work? Magee seems to dismiss any of these
>folks out of hand, and id like to form a more educated
>opinion.
>
>i think regardless of the antisemitic content within
>the actual operas there is still room for the debate
>to exist.
>

>Of course.  There are evil geniuses and some of them are artists.  When
>one thinks about it, Wagner's music is seductive and seduction is not
>necessarily a quality we associate with nice people.  I own the Glenn
>Gould transcriptions myself and there was a paper given on that
>subject.  Many composers we know and love, including many who are Jewish
>(or Christian converts of Jewish heritage, like Mahler).  It's one of the
>great sadnesses of Western culture.

BTW, there were plenty of other great artists who were anti-Semites, though
few as ideological/politically active as Wagner.  One more reason to
wrestle with the question of why there needs to be evil in the world.

Thanks for responding.

>I'd start with Marc Weiner's Richard Wagner and the Anti-Semitic
>Imagination.  Plan on reading it for several weeks.  There's no jargon,
>but it's really deep.
>

>=====
>the whole world is a narrow bridge
>      and the main thing is to have no fear  -rabbi nachman
>the numerical equation of ahavah in hebrew is 13(a prime number)
>      be'ahava is 2(bet) x 13
>      when two complete and unbreakable (prime) loves come together in
> love(be'ahava), you have 26
>      this shows that god (equivalent to 26) enters into a relationship
> only if there is a complete unbreakable selflessness to the other    -avi
> finegold
>and one one hand he tattooed the word love/and on the other the word
>fear   -bruce springsteen

>http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)