Re: Szol a kakas mar

At 08:33 AM 2/24/03, Helene Century wrote:
>I found it in an old book of Velvel Pasternak and I have a recording of
>the group "Muszikas". Unfortunately I cannot get the words from Martha
>Sebastian's singing and Pasternak's version has only one verse which I
>wrote very poorly and I am not sure of deciphering myself properly.
>Does anyone have words for this song ?
>Hélène Engel

This page should help you a lot, since you have a recording to listen to:
http://campuscgi.princeton.edu/~klez/zemerl/show.pl?title=Szol+a+kakas+mar
otherwise you would need to know basic Hungarian to work with it; but even
so, the accent marks that distinguish the vowels are not indicated.
If I have a chance I may edit the text. Can anyone tell me an easy way to
enter accented vowels in basic ASCII that would be legible to anyone
reading the above URL, so that I don't make matters worse?  (Ari?)

I may also transcribe it into YIVO orthgraphy to make it more accessible.
Again, when I have a chance.
BTW you should get in touch with <decheke (at) resgs(dot)umass(dot)edu>, the
Hungarian
Jewish informant for the above lyrics, who might help you with other
Hungarian Jewish songs (though I would be surprised if there were more than
one or two).

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ