Re: Kol Isha/Miriam's Song/Wagner

At 11:52 AM 2/24/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>--- Alex Lubet <lubet001 (at) umn(dot)edu> wrote:

> > >yes but does that make them ok or not to listen to.
> > >many people i know will no longer listen to the
> > music
> > >of R. Kelly because of recent discoveries of his
> > >enjoyment of underage girls. i cant think of anyone
> > >who would go out and say...."well i know the lyrics
> > >arent right but im really into the sound of some of
> > >those white supremacist punk groups". the question
> > is
> > >basically at what point do we say ok, this has
> > crossed
> > >the line and while you cannot deny the fact that it
> > is
> > >art it is not art that should be respected or
> > enjoyed.
> >

> > I don't disagree  at all, but this is very complex
> > and a question that
> > extends beyond music to, for example, medical
> > research.  Lots of people who
> > like the sound of rap listen despite the lyrics.
> > bell hooks has an article
> > entitled "Mad at Miles", in which she grapples with
> > loving his music vs.
> > his misogynistic violence.
> >

>im on the miles davis list also and invoking bell
>hooks can be the equvalent of saying saul berman here
>so shes not without her detractors as well.....

I'm sure that's true.  I don't always agree with her myself, but the
historical record on Davis and women is pretty clear and it could be pretty
off-putting for plenty of people, whether it's hooks who noted it or
someone else.

> > I know some folks draw the line at whether the evil
> > is apparent in the art,
> > others at whether the evil is/was an activity (in
> > Wagner's case) or just an
> > attitude (Chopin was also an anti-Semite).
> >

>some would say that it is impossible to separate the
>art from the artist..where does that leave you then?
>does that mean that chopin should be taken with a
>grain of salt as well? should roman polanski have
>chosen other music for "the pianist"? i tend to live
>somewhere between the two, i dont think that every
>aspect of the artist is directly correlated to the
>art, but the life of the artist helps to illuminate
>greatly the art in question. so it might be easier to
>digest chopin because its not so apparent how his ife
>intersected with his music, while with wagner (or
>R.Kelly, since much of his music is of a sexual nature
>to begin with) its becomes more difficult as some
>stuff is more plain to see.
>
>My point as well.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)