Re: Kol Isha/Miriam's Song/Wagner

--- Marvin Margoshes <physchem (at) cloud9(dot)net> wrote:

> My most recent exposure was at a NY Philharmonic
> concert where a fat lady
> sang a love song about her dying hero, from a Wagner
> opera.  The supertitles
> only made it worse (when the gadget worked at all)
> by showing that the
> lyrics were as ludicrous as the singer.  (I don't
> mean her voice.  I mean
> her appearance as a love image.)

hmmm.....do you mean that you cannot understand how
such banal lyrics can capture a feeling of love? i
think many including myself will argue with you.
Wagners big achievement was never that he wrote
brilliant dialogue, but that he wa able to use a
musical palette as a means for expressing emotions
that were overtly spoken in the libretto. i dont think
verdi or beethoven could have made shakespeare better.
theater is theater, opera libretti serve only to go
hand in hand with the score.

or are you implying that a fat lady cannot be a love
image? i have a feeling that quite a few people on
this list would have a thing or two to say to you.....

:)