Re: Miriam's Song

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Marvin Margoshes wrote:

> > The verse (Exodus 15:20) clearly states: "All the women
> > went out after her (ie Miriam) in dance with timbrels.
> > And Miriam chanted for them: Sing to the Lord..."
> >
> > I do not see how "for them" could include men within
> > this context.

> I'll suggest how.  It is sensible to go outside the
> tents to dance, where there is room.

Well, this whole episode took place just when they had
crossed the Red Sea, and witnessed that the complete
Egyptian army was swallowed by the sea. I don't think
that there were to much tents around at that time...

> That doesn't necessarily mean that they went out of
> earshot.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there were no men
listening somewhere in the neighbourhood. The only
point I tried to make is that it is clear from the
context that Miriam led the singing and dancing of the
woman who were with her, and that there were no men
within this group.

> (And now I may get a repeat of the rant I got a
> couple of years ago, telling me that only a Rabbi is
> allowed to suggest an interpretation.)

If that may reassure you: I am not a Rav, nor were some
of the great classical Torah commentators. But that
does not imply that I'm a great Torah commentator (-:

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim
 i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl
 ~~~*