Re: mitzvot music

Well, that seems a bit scanty evidence to make sucha
claim. There's nothing anti-jewish about vows
(although Jews are discouraged from making them
because they're so serious, a wedding would certainly
be an appropriate place for them) they're just not
part of the wedding ceremony, so I would have trouble
figuring out how you would know how to program music
for them, since I suppose they could be inserted just
about anywhere, and take any amount of time.

Alana

--- Jeremy A Schiffer <schiffer (at) columbia(dot)edu> wrote:

> i was at a wedding recently between two graduate
> students from HUC (one
> pre-rabbi, the other jewish community
> service/education), where they
> wrote their own vows and said them while the cantor
> played on a harp.
>
> so, yes. though i suppose now someone is going to
> claim that reform
> practitioners aren't real jews...
>
> also, i've been to one intermarriage ceremony where
> they had vows, but no
> music at that point.
>
> and a catholic wedding (at which i was the
> photographer) where they sang
> "sunrise, sunset" during the ceremony. it was a
> struggle to keep from
> laughing when the line "under the canopy" went by.
>
> -jeremy
>

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Ms. Cat wrote:
>
> > I've never been to any Jewish weddings that have
> them
> > (unless maybe you mean an intermarriage?). Have
> you.
> > (Real question. not facetious.)
> >
> > Alana
> >
> > --- Eliezer Kaplan <zelwel (at) attbi(dot)com> wrote:
> > > TRADITIONAL Jewish weddings don't have those.
> > >
> ek

=====
The one who increases knowledge, increases pain (Kohelet 1:18)
And what's this?
-It is worth it for a person to increase pain, provided that they increase
knowledge as well.
                    Menachem Mendel of Kotsk